Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Hmm....


Well, today didn’t go quite as I had hoped. We are still moving forward though. Just not as quickly as I had thought things would be. Apparently my body is just as stubborn as my heart and mind.

    Today’s appointment revealed that even though I’ve been on Clomid for the growth and development of my eggs and follicles, they aren’t as “big” as Ginger would’ve hoped. She said that doesn’t mean that they’re not working, it just means they’re not ready yet.  Currently, there is a prominent follicle on the left ovary, but it is still only 12mm in size. It needs to get up to 18mm to be viable. Again, it should grow anywhere from 1-2mm a day. So Ginger is hoping that it is as big as 16mm on Thursday. I go back in on Thursday for the same ultrasound/measurements to see how far I’ve progressed in 2 days. She believes that I won’t be ovulating in the next few days, possibly even the next week (based on the length of my last cycle, my body could wait until Day 18 to ovulate instead of the normal Day 13-15).
     She has also started me on a drug called Vagifem. Now, while it’s not necessarily used for fertility treatments, the main hormone in the pills are what my body uses to thicken the lining of my uterus. Currently, my lining is only 5mm thick, and it needs to be at least 8mm for a fertilized egg to be able to attach.
     If she does in fact do the insemination this week/round, she wants me to come back in a week later for blood work to test my Progesterone level again. If implantation occurs, there should be a spike in progesterone as that is the hormone that helps facilitate a successful pregnancy. If we get a positive pregnancy test but my progesterone levels don’t change, I could “miscarry” or flush the egg off 2-3 weeks after fertilization/implantation. We don’t want that, of course.
     I’ve administered my first dose of the Vagifem, and it’s making me quite nauseous and cramping a little right now – this is no bueno lol.  I am trying to stay positive, but today was a little discouraging. Just going to have to buckle down and keep plowing through I guess. I won’t let it ruin my Christmas if we don’t get to try this week and have to wait until January. But I’ll admit it…. I’m sad.  :-(

Until next time……

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that, but remain positive and dont give up. Things will happen in due time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like you told me honey, you can do this, and things will happen when they are supposed to. Sending you lots of love and hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! You don't know me but I typed key words into Google and was able to find your blog. I too am trying to have a child and have been for YEARS with no luck. They (Benezra and doctors that he refers me to) have done all the tests with me that they have done with you and say that everything is fine with me as well as my husband. Dr. Benezra/Ginger had me on clomid for months and Ginger told me month after month that everything was going as it was supposed to and my body was responding perfectly to the clomid but month after month, no baby. :* ( The last time I was there was in Septmeber or October and we had to stop doing it (clomid) because we ran through our savings but at that time he was saying the next process for me would be IUI (if clomid did not work-which it didn't). When we were speaking w/Benezra he advised us (my husband and I) that he and Ginger were looking into doing IUI for his patients but they were looking at pricing info, etc and nothing was finalized at that time. So, with all that said (sorry for giving you my life story), it sounds like (through reading your posts) that they have actually started doing the IUI procedures and I was wondering if you could give me information on costs and any other information you think may be helpful. I see you have not posted anything since 12/13, I hope you still look at your page. Thank you in advance for any information that you can provide me with.

    Jeanne R

    ReplyDelete